A recent Allrecipes.com and USA WEEKEND Magazine has some interesting data points about American adults and, uh, food:
- Stranded on a desert island and faced with a choice between an unlimited supply of beer and burgers or a vegetable-only diet and Angelina Jolie as a hut mate, a solid majority (61 percent) of men would become vegetarian.
- For women, the choice between unlimited chocolate or a lifetime of eating veggies with Brad Pitt is much closer. At 51 percent, Brad Pitt just wins over the unlimited chocolate.
- Bucking the national trend, 58 percent of women in the Northeast chose chocolate over Brad Pitt.
- Meanwhile, a whopping 85 percent of men in that region — significantly more than anywhere else in the nation — picked Angelina over beer and burgers.
- When asked to choose a popular TV show’s character(s) for a breakfast companion, most people (34 percent) said they wanted to share a tropical fruit plate with the castaways from Lost.
- Over one-quarter of Americans admit they hide foods from other members of their household, with candy being the most frequently hidden food.
- Women (20 percent) are more likely to hide candy than men (12 percent), especially if they are married.