Corante’s Dave Evans gets so many things right in a recent post on online dating sites and how they could do so much better (his wording is less polite).
Some of the points Dave makes that ring so true for me:
- More and more people are meeting on local or niche sites–but the broadest listings are on the big sites–how can daters get benefits of both without paying a fortune?
- Why don’t all dating sites allow a universal profile–and a daypass to visit all of them?
- A dating site database is not a card catalog, it should be a guided, rich multimedia experience, with a profile stream that flows like water.
- How about mobile dating–is anyone paying attention?
- Where is the next generation of personality testing?
- How about user created videos?
- And background checks-for those who want them.
- Do something extraordinary that differentiates you from the competition.
One of the reasons I joined Y!P is because I’m fascinated by what social media and premium services can look like joined together; another is that I am–post- divorce–single–and of course that means I’ve used all these sites (and yeah, they can all be a lot better.)
So Dave, keep the great ideas coming..you’re really paying attention in a most appreciated way.