Oscar Grant shooting, Oakland protests and social media–and this is so sad

oscar grant.jpgI’m two miles from where the Oakland protests have been happening and watching the action on twitter (via search) and friendfeed updates. Checked into KRON, but the taped footage seemed to fall short of feeling real time–while the footage the police tried to confiscate–but weren’t able to–seems frighteningly real.

YouTube has the purported footage of the police handcuffing and then shooting Oscar Grant in a BART station and the Oakland blogs  are filled with news. Photog Thomas Hawk is out shooting in Oakland, with pictures to come on flickr.

Meanwhile, this photo from earlier in the day captures the “why is this happening” mood of many of the tweets I am seeing. (More photos on flickr)

For me, this horrific tragedy and the coverage of the protest underscore several things:

• There is no real media outlet for Oakland–and we need one
  • Neighborhoods in Oakland lack blog voices–the voices tonight are on twitter
  • Citizen Journalism has blossomed into something far beyond what it started as–these videos and photos speak truth to power

My heart goes out to the family and friends of Oscar Grant, thank you to everyone documenting what is going on.

1. Sarah says:

So damn sad on so many levels.
    And yes, yet another example of how Twitter and Facebook are the best place to go for real-time updates these days…..

2. Verite Parlant says:

Thanks for alerting me to the protest and violence, Susan. I saw your note earlier on Twitter, and even though I’d written a post about Oscar Grant’s death Tuesday, it didn’t click with me immediately what was going on in Oakland tonight. Light bulb went off later and I posted on protest/riot, connecting it to other stories.
    I think you may be correct that Oakland needs more media outlets and bloggers.
    Interestingly, although I’ve never lived in Cali, the only riot I’ve ever been in was one during the 60s in Oakland. I was visiting relatives.

3. Melissa says:

I think we should organize a boycott of BART for the same length of time it takes them to arrest the person they employed to murder Oscar Grant. I would suspect the revenue supports the salaries of the killers they employ. Why would we continue to pay their salary when they are killing innocent citizens? I also believe BART is a government agency so why would we continue to knowingly give money to the same people who are doing nothing to ensure this murderer is locked up.

4. Shirley Rojas says:

Hey Verite and Melissa there are a lot of activites being arranged in the coming week relating to the killing of Oscar Grant in California and other states. Check out Facebook. I also noticed another blog that could perhaps help raise the profile of this awful tragedy.

5. Doug says:

Why “purported”? These multiple videos don’t lie, they are not edited or “photoshopped. Oscar was murdered. Sounds bad, it IS bad.
    It is becoming routine. In Orange County, we routinely read about cops killing our citizens. They don’t just shoot them but they make sure they die. One girl, holding a knife, was shot 15 times by cops. A girl…with just a knife…15 shots.

6. kevin says:

That girl with just a knife could have killed someone. The cops are not just killing our citizens. If you think the people could actually be considered quality citizens, then you are clueless. As far as Oscar Grant. Good job Johannes. People want to act like morons, them get rid of them. More cops should start letting these worthless criminals know who is the boss. RIP Oscar Grant you thug bitch.

7. Michael says:

I dont care which way you look at it. Anybody who sides with the officer on this one is a racist.

8. Scott says:

… These multiple videos don’t lie, they are not edited or “photoshopped…. Maybe so, but they don’t tell the whole story, either. What was going on on the train that was so scary that people called the police in the first place? It must have been more than just some New Year’s Eve boisterousness. Also, a gun was found earlier at West Oakland.
    People don’t understand that police *must* be tougher now. Oakland is overrun with crime and guns. It is the FIFTH MOST DANGEROUS CITY in the U.S. (New York is 289 for comparison). A gun was found earlier at West Oakland.