J school teacher (and wise woman) Mindy McAdams has a great blog post, meant for young journalists, on how to tell whether you have an effective personal brand on the web. This is advice I’d recommend to everyone, so I both urge you to go to her post, and am excerpting highlights here:
- Someone who Googles your first and last name should be able to find out who you are
- Samples of your best work should be linked to your home page or online (HTML) resume.
- Your real work experience should be easy to find and easy to scan quickly.
- People who might want to hire you need to be able to find your
contact info EASILY.
- You need to be around, to be visible, to be seen — people should see your name in comments, retweets, etc.
If this is relevant, I urge you to read the whole post–and remember, this is all in the context of being authentic and giving value.