Much of my writing has been related to my teaching, consulting and media/news/civic engagement interests. Projects I am proud of include:
Social Media and Tools for News, a self-directed course for The Poynter Institute
Creating your social media strategy, a webinar series for Poynter
A number of workshops posted on SlideShare, particularly those on working with Google Analytics
A series of workshops and presentations done with the Knight Digital Media Center: http://www.knightdigitalmediacenter.org/speakers/name/susan_mernit/
Likes & Tweets, Social Media for News Sites, produced for J-Lab’s Knight Community News Network
Writing is at my core
I’ve always been a writer–professionally, in the early days–and then as an avocation, on the side. For several years,I blogged regularly at Susan Mernit’s Blog and am a contributing editing with weekly posts for BlogHer on Sex and Relationships. In an earlier life I wrote features for magazines and for the living section of the NYTimes.
Some favorite pieces I wrote for BlogHer, as a sex and relationships editor, before starting Oakland Local stole so much of my time:
- Joined, not merged: Keeping a room of one’s own
- How can I ditch thee? Let me count the ways
- The Cheap Date & 15 ways to have fun ones..without feeling like a cheapskate
- I don’t want to get married. Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt(and the kid)
- The end of innocence & making it big: The NYTimes spins yet another lost girl tale of innocence, regret and discreetly hot sex
- Sex for fun: do you play that or not?
- Love Happens, Or from Casual to Comitted, Trying it All Again
- My love for Patty Smith: Or, sex, gender, androgyny and freedom
- On dating younger men(more people have read this than anything else on blogher that I have written. Why? It is the number 2 link on google for dating younger men (LOL)
- Not choosing monogamy, why exclusivity doesn’t matter
I am also proud of this talk on blogging, sexual identity and privacy Viviane and I did at Arse Electronika: Avoiding the Emily Gould Effect: Blogging, transparency & oversharing.
I was once a dedicated poet, and after not writing for many years, started writing again.You can see some of the old poems and an essay online. Still hoarding the new poems.
What it feels like to write poetry again — http://www.blogher.com/what-it-feels-writing-poetry-again-after-15-years
THE OLD DAYS: 2008-20909 pieces
- Social media for social change, We media paper–the brief on using social
media for social change, commissioned for the We Media conference, Feb
- Social Media for Social Causes, detailed case studies
of Knight News Challenge, Women Who Tech Telesummit and Twestival for
charity: water, done for We Media, March 2009
309 full social media for social causes white paper.pdf
- Basic tools for online media, What you need to get started, Feb. 2009, basics for small online news sites
Basic tools for online media.pdf
- The social media tool box: Essential tools, tips and framing
strategy, white paper for Knight community foundation conference, Feb.
THE SOCIAL MEDIA TOOL BOX.pdf
- Building your brand through social media, preso done for The Maynard Institute and redone many times since Feb. 2009
March 2009 build yr brand thru social media.pdf
- Women and the dynamics of social capital, w/Deanna Zandt, done for WAM! as a social media workshop framer, March 2009
- Glossary for twitter terms: the basics, March 2009 for WAM!
glossary for twitter terms.pdf
- Getting started with Twitter, why take the leap, Maynard workshop, March 2009
Getting started with Twitter–and why you should take the leap.pdf
MORE ON SUSAN
Susan’s LinkedIn resume is here.
Oakland Local--nonprofit news startup