- Focus. Good blogs have distinct personalities and themes. The time is past for newspapers to be all things to all people.
- Print the truth, not just the facts. The L.A. Times’ excellent series on a dysfunctional local hospital shows how powerful a point-of-view can be when it is based on sound reporting.
- Get local, very local. Find ways, either in print or online, to get the chicken dinner and real people news published. Yes, institutions matter, but people matter more.
- Give readers access to source material.
- Add multiple RSS feeds to your web site.
Tim’s list–and his live links to examples–are very useful to everyone thinking about these issues–and looking for ways to educate colleagues.