The traffic to this blog has gone up in the past three months, and it’s surely at least in part a result of some things I consciously put into practice.
So, in the interests of transparency and sharing, here are some best practices:
- Post consistently: Post daily, so people can maintain their habit of reading and get a payoff.
- Post in the morning : Ideally, I’d be up at 5:30 am and posting so NYers can read when they get to the office. But, hey, I live in California, so I try to post between 7 and 9 am.
- Post frequently: If I see a great item during my work day, I try to grab 5 minutes and get the link up–or save it till later and post after work.
- Write about what interests you–within reason: I love pop culture, enjoy cooking, and want to get out and hike more…I also am learning about mobile. That all creeps in. Meanwhile, it’s digital media and emerging tech, all new, all the time. Oh, and did I mention that sprinkle of social justice and market disruption?
- Share and give credit: Be generous with links and attribute.
- Have a point of view: This ain’t no newspaper.
- Listen to everything–and everyone. Discovery(as in finding things) and attention (as in saying Look at this) are useful.
- Have fun. If it isn’t fun for you, it isn’t fun for anyone.
What best practices would others suggest (besides linking to Scoble (joke)?