Susan’s votes: AOTechnorati100, OpenMedia100

Here’s my list for AOTechnorati100, OpenMedia100

The Pioneers: (formerly The Founding Fathers): industry luminaries who created the vision of open media and continue to shape it.
Xeni Jardin
Shelly Powers
Dave Winer
Jeff Jarvis
Adam Curry

The Tool Smiths
: web service entrepreneurs and companies building the open media tools (blogs, social software, wikis, RSS, analytic tools, etc.).
Caterina Fake
Dave Sifry
Scott Rafer
Rich Skrenta
Roland Tanglao

The Trendsetters: the influencers driving and evangelizing the adoption and applications of Open Media.
Brewster Kahle
Marc Canter & JD Lasica
Mary Hodder
Doc Searls
Dave Weinberger

The Practitioners: the top bloggers in politics, business, technology, and media.
Jason Kottke
Rafat Ali
Om Malik
Susan Mernit
Halley Suitt

The Enablers: the venture capitalists and investors backing the Open Media Revolution.
Dave Hornick
Esther Dyson
Joi Ito
Brad Feld
Hilary Schneider

, , , , , ,

Update: Jeneane’s points are well-taken.
Update 2: Peter has a great list and more dead-on comments–probably shoulda been the 200..or not happened at all.
Those Bastards has the best take on a more cynical viewpoint, via mobile jones .
Another good (and amusing) list from Barb D.

1. Jackson West says:

I’m a little worried that this is kinda turning into a giant circle of self-love (not that I’m not sex-positive). Even Niall admits that folks like David Sifry and Joi Ito are kind of bound to get nominated, and I’m not sure if that doesn’t have something to do with the way the categories are structured.
    I’m going to do a contest on SFist. “Who do you think deserves an award for the San Francisco Media Revolution? Categories include: Most Popular San Francisco City Blog, Best City Blog Editor, Local City Blog Pioneers, Best Reporting By A San Francisco City Blogger.”
    And using Technorati tags as the method of nomination? Great way to restrict the field to votes from Technorati users! Back to my SFist awards: “Make your nominations in a post and submit a trackback to SFist!”
    Just sayin’. And yeah, these notes will probably be rehashed a Get Ur Geek On for Monday.

2. Richard MacManus says:

As I commented on Sifry’s post…
    I think there should at least be a category for non-A-Listers. May I suggest something like:
    The Up-and-Comers
    or, The New Voices
    or something along those lines…
    ps of course, that’d be the only way *I’d* get nominated – but one can only try…and I note you nominated yourself ;-)

3. susan mernit says:

You guys are both so right..I hesitated to answer this call, then decided I was in once I made a fuss about the approach, but I agree there is both a publicity-seeking and a self-congratulatory aspect that is, uh, not very organic or community focused (maybe kinda old media?)
    Another cartegory that would have been great is Most disruptive–Howard Rheingold and Shawn Fanning would have gotten my votes there.

4. mobile jones says:

Actually, after scouring the blogosphere I found this post to be the most representative of my feelings on this whole subject.
    The Space Intentionally Left Blank It seems there’s one in the blogosphere with courage. I’m going to post this on my site with the requested tag: AOTechnorati100.

5. Roland Tanglao says:

thanks for the nomination susan
    i second the susan mernit nomination and i agree that Jeanne’s points are well taken

6. Niall Kennedy says:

Regarding Jackson’s comments about my post, I said that I think Joi and Dave belong on the list but may be left off due to a conflict of interest. It was my way of encouraging people to vote for the people like Joi that might have a conflict of interest but still deserve a place on the list.
    Regarding the nominations, Sifry encouraged people to leave a leave a comment or tag their post. You could have users vote by wiki, email, blog post, or comment, but I still think the last two methods make the most sense as the carrier.

7. susan mernit says:

thanks for posting, everyone…

8. Dean Landsman says:

A few days ago I wrote a post about The Usual Suspects. It has a headline, Conference Cacophony. But it addresses the same old same old.
    This is not just an issue of sexism, which surely exists to a degree (although there are certainly more than enough women blogging/posting/hosting sites to balance out the perceived and enacted sexism or chauvinism), but also another example of the old guard (notice how I didn’t call it, er, the “old boy’s club”!) showering itself with resplendent praise of . . . . itself.
    I belong to the Groucho Marx club when it comes to this stuff.

9. Roxanne says:

I consider myself kind of an “in the know” person and I don’t know most of the people who’ve been nominated. I guess my sphere ain’t all that big.
    BTW Susan: You get invited to speak at the coolest conferences!

10. mobile jones says:

From MSNBC this insightful comment
    But what’s happening is that the link-rich end up getting link-richer, especially when there’s such an emphasis on who’s got the highest traffic and who’s the most linked (yes, to some extent this blog is guilty of perpetuating the hierarchy). Why would bloggers go through the trouble of tearing down the icons and pedestals of corporate media only to mainstream their own iconic figures?
    Without going on a rant, there are some elements of blog culture (and maybe human culture) that undermine its own egalitarian nature.

Also, thanks for the link Susan, but http://www.mobilejones.com is the correct URL. The typepad one is coming down which will break your link to me. :)

11. susan mernit says:

Thanks, Roxanne–I accepted a lot of speaking gigs this spring and it has been a great way to learn about what diverse people are thinking, but it makes my non travel weeks really crammed with actual work.
    Mobile, fixed.