The Online Publisher Association’s just released a new study on online consumer experience–which they call user engagement.
This is the kind of thing the 5ive team likes to focus on–that space between UI/interactive design and editorial positioning/content strategy.
Users value sites that are perceived as
? A credible, safe place
? Easy to use
? Makes me smarter
? Looks out for people like me
? Entertains and absorbs me
Two types of (many) sites that fit these critera are sites that are a regular part of a user’s day and those that are treats for time out and relaxation–the study has some nice user quotes about each type:
Regular part of my day
- This is one of the sites I always go to anytime I am surfing the Web.
- I like to have this Web site open on my desktop while I am doing other things.
- There are features on this site that I regularly follow.
My personal timeout
- It?s a treat for me.
- Going to this site improves my mood, makes me happier.
- I like to go to this site when I am eating or taking a break.
The whole study is worth a look.