Twittosphere: Link-whoring sucks, social spam filters needed

Okay, I’ve been an active Twitter user for about 3 months. As with Facebook, I hopped on when lots of people I knew started using it (or when I finally became aware they were on it, more accurately.)
At first, twitter was fun. Hella fun. Fun to chat with friends, real friends, almost real time, but more bi-directional than Yahoo! IM.
Then, it was interesting-lots more folks jumping on, the social media marketeers friending everyone.
Now, it’s a pain–I have never seen a medium turn so relentlessly into the online equivalent of leafleting–50% of the people from people I follow are link-whoring–and only linking whoring. 3 people, two of whom I really like, will do 5 twits in 3 minutes, each with their blog links of the moment,.
Ugh!
Clearly, the social media marketeers are out there spreading the message this is another hot marketing medium where the social spam filters don’t exist.
Here’s my deal: If you’re a friend and your big purpose for twitter is to push links to glorify your blog, I’m probably going to stop following you, As interesting and as *valuable* as you think this public service is (hah), I’m not interested in yet one more medium for folks to pimp out blog links.
Nope, not my thing.
On the other hand, if twitter’s a place to chat, and to share interesting links that don’t always come from your blog, you’re my kind of twit.
–And the rest of you, ugh.

1. Elisa Camahort says:

You’ve nailed my twitter-ennui.
    Don’t people realize that if I’m following you on twitter I’m probably also subscribed to your blog?
    That’s why I’m an intermittentwitterer.

2. Matt Terenzio says:

Maybe we could use it for different things without them colliding.
    Public posts should be “traditional” updates as you say.
    And then use services and bots for other things. For example,
    (disclosure, I built this)
    No need to clutter your followers inbox to post things that are retrievable by others.

3. Koan says:

Bingo! Couldn’t agree more, Susan and Elisa. I’m proud to say that my tweets are link-free, and will always remain so – mind you, since I don’t blog any more, that’s probably a very easy promise for me to keep!
    (Some might say my tweets are not just link-free, but content-free and interest-free, too, but I don’t make anybody follow me! ;)

4. lupis yonderboy says:

there’s going to be people on any social network that use the medium for something that you don’t. my advice? don’t follow people you don’t want to follow. “i may not agree with what you wish to say, but i’ll fight tooth and nail for your right to say it”

5. Kate says:

This is exactly why I was never excited about this technology when it started to get super popular after SXSW last year… it’s too frenetic and has too many possibilities for use as a spammy marketing tool.
    I concur, ugh.

6. Andrew says:

True enough, but a lot of people also link to other blogs and other sites. I’m not a great Twitterer (or a great twit?) but it helps me follow what’s going on in an area I’m interested in. But it’s not the only way I keep up.